Special guide licences

A special guide licence allows a licensed Yukon resident hunter to guide a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada, who is not a resident of Yukon.

It is unlawful to accept payment or reward of any kind for this service. Hunters must meet all responsibilities as a guide described in the Yukon Hunting Regulations Summary.

Harvest fees (+GST) must be paid on all big game animals. Goat, sheep, elk, deer, grizzly bear and wolverine cannot be hunted under a special guide licence.

2018-19 special guide lottery

The application period for the special guide lottery is closed.

The Government of Yukon offers 125 special guide licences through a lottery process. Yukoners holding a big game licence could apply for this online or at any Environment office from April 3 to 23, 2018 for a non-refundable fee of $10.

Successful applicants were notified by email. You can also check your status by logging into your eServices account and clicking on ‘special guide lottery’ in the lefthand bar.

We do not publish the names of special guide licence recipients. Please look for your hunting licence number once results are posted.


Contact Client Services

Phone (Whitehorse): 867-667-5652
Toll-free (in Yukon, NWT, Nunavut):
1-800-661-0408 ext. 5652

Fax: 867-393-7197

Email: environmentyukon@gov.yk.ca
Address: Box 2703 (V-3A) Whitehorse, Yukon Canada Y1A 2C6

District Conservation Officers

Carmacks 863-2411
Dawson 993-5492
Faro 994-2862
Haines Junction 634-2247
Mayo 996-2202
Old Crow 966-3040
Ross River 969-2202
Teslin 390-2685
Watson Lake 536-3210
Whitehorse 667-8005