2018-19 permit hunt lottery

2018-19 Permit Hunt Authorizations

Permits issued through the July 10 redraw are valid for the 2018–19 hunting season. No returned permits will be reissued prior to August 1.

All unsuccessful applicants from the 2018–19 draw will be refunded their application fees and the approximately 300 individuals that were improperly weighted in the redraw will be compensated with an additional year’s weighting the next time they apply.

Following the Department of Environment’s efforts to address the data errors, all data, processes and policies will be independently reviewed to ensure the PHA lottery is operating fairly and effectively. This review will address longstanding concerns related to the PHA and complement steps already taken to improve the process, including contracting the Yukon Bureau of Statistics to conduct the draw and working through the migration to a fully electronic system.

Quick facts

More than 4,300 applications were submitted by 1,158 individuals for the 247 available permits in the 2018–19 Permit Hunt Authorization lottery.

Successful applicants of the 2018–19 Permit Hunt Authorization lottery were notified on July 3, 2018. Errors related to returns and reissuances from the 2017-18 draw were found and the lottery was redrawn for caribou, sheep, moose and mountain goats. Following the July 10 redraw, additional data errors were discovered. These errors were a result of duplicate client application histories that were not properly cross-referenced prior to the draw. For example, if an individual had previously filled out a paper application with their name as ‘John Doe’, and then this year completed an electronic application with the name ‘Johnathan Doe’, two client applications would exist for the same individual. These applications are then cross-referenced and combined into one profile to ensure the weighting assigned to Mr. Doe’s lottery entry reflects his full history of unsuccessful applications. This cross-referencing step was not completed after applications were received for the 2018–19 PHA lottery, resulting in 311 individual applicants receiving improper weighting.

The Kluane Sheep draw was unaffected. It is the only permit draw that does not apply any weighting to applications.

All hunters are legally required to show their most recent hunting licence if requested by a conservation or RCMP officer while hunting. Hunters can print or show their licence by logging in to their client profile, which shows all valid seals and permits.

Permit hunt information

In some areas of Yukon, you need a permit to hunt moose, caribou, sheep, goat, deer or elk. To apply for a permit you must:

Permit hunts help responsibly manage overall species populations and improve hunt quality. Where it is required to control the number of animals harvested, permit hunts limit the number of animals harvested for specific species and areas.

The number of applicants for PHAs has been increasing each year. To fairly distribute PHAs, Environment uses a computerized lottery system that randomly selects applicant names.

Lottery draws are based on species and areas. There is a different number of permits for different species:







Kluane Sheep

*No map available. All eligible hunters may apply for hunt code DE601. Youth aged 14-15 may also apply for hunt code DE602.

First Nations permission

Some permit areas include First Nation settlement lands. Written permission from the First Nation is required prior to hunting any big game or small game species on Category A settlement lands. Settlement land boundaries are identified on the maps linked above. You can also purchase a detailed Game Management Subzone map from any Environment office, which shows all settlement lands .

Make sure to grab your copy, or look online, at the latest Hunting Regulations Summary for all the information you need to hunt in Yukon.


Frequently Asked Questions

1. How do I apply? How do I fill in the online application? Can I still apply from an Environment office?

You can apply for a PHA online or come into your local Environment office.
To fill in the application online, you must have an electronic (system-generated) hunting licence.

2. How much does it cost to apply?

Every individual application costs $10, plus GST. If you are applying jointly with another hunter, the joint application will cost $20, plus GST. Fees are non-refundable.

3. I did not get a hunting licence last year – what do I need to apply for a PHA?

If you are applying for a hunting licence for the first time, or you were not issued one last year, you will need to complete a Yukon residency declaration form at an Environment office, and provide proof of having completed a hunter education course (if you were born after April 1, 1987).

To complete a residency declaration, you must prove your Yukon residency. Acceptable proof of residency includes:

Online application - you need:

Applying at an Environment office - you need:

4. How does the weighting system work?
A hunter entering the draw for the first time will have their name entered into the draw 17 times (1x1x1x1x1x1x1)…or one time.

A hunter applying for a permit for the fifth time, not having been successfully drawn on four earlier occasions will have their name entered into the draw 57 times (5x5x5x5x5x5x5), or 78,125 times, and will have a weighting of five.

Your odds increase each year, until a successful draw where the hunter accepts the permit.

At that time, the weighting is reset to 1, and there will be 1 entry into the draw the next time that hunter applies.

Many applicants may have the same weighting as you and there are no guarantees for being drawn. Success depends on:

5. How is my name weighted if I apply for a different species?
Each species is a different draw. Your success in one species will not affect your weighting for a different species. For example: you apply for moose and sheep. You are successful for moose, but not sheep. Next year you apply for moose and sheep again. Your weighting for moose will be reset to one, but your weighting for sheep will increase based on the number of years you have been unsuccessful.

6. What happens if I miss a year?
You do not have to apply each year to have your name remain at the current weight. Your weighting will not change if you do not apply.

7. What if I miss the deadline to apply?
Department of Environment does not accept PHA applications after the deadline – no exceptions.

8. How will I know if I am successful? How do I get my permit?
If you are successful, you will receive notification to the email listed on your client profile. A letter will also be mailed to you via registered mail. You can always access your most up-to-date hunting licence online or by visiting an Environment office.

Final draw results will be posted to this page before hunting season begins.

Successful applicants are reminded that they must hold a seal for that species prior to hunting.

9. What if I do not want a PHA this year? Can I return a permit that I do not want?
If you know that you will not use the permit this year, you have three options:

Please make an effort to plan ahead and apply based on your interest to accept a permit to eliminate the need for permit hunt returns. Take advantage of the option to apply for weighting only.

NOTE: If you are drawn for a permit but miss the return deadline, or do not hunt in the PHA area, you will still be considered successful in the draw, and the weighting of your name is reset to “1” for the next time you apply.

10. Will returned permits be reissued?
Environment will make best efforts to reissue all returned permits before hunting season begins.

11. How does a joint application work?
A joint application is a single application submitted by two hunters for the same species, in the same area. Joint applications are permitted for all species with the exception of moose.

The draw is based on the primary applicant’s draw history and, if successful, both applicants will receive a permit.

In the case where only one permit hunt authorization remains in the area of interest, the primary applicant will be considered successful, and the secondary applicant will be considered unsuccessful in the draw, and weighted accordingly.

Hunters who submit a joint application may not submit an individual application for the same species.

If the primary applicant chooses to return the permit, then the secondary applicant must also return their permit.

If the secondary applicant chooses to return the permit, the primary applicant is not required to return theirs.

The fee for a joint application is $20 +GST.

12. Is there another chance at permits?
Environment will make best efforts to reissue all returned permits before hunting season begins.

If you are successful you will receive email notification specifying the time period to respond. Environment will also make best efforts to contact you by telephone at the number listed in your client profile. It is important to follow up within the specified time period (generally 24 to 48 hours), otherwise the permit will be reissued to the next applicant.

If you wish to accept the permit, your licence will be updated with the new authorization, and you can either:

If you do not wish to accept the permit within the time allotted, you will be considered unsuccessful in the draw.

Applicants who do not anticipate using a permit are encouraged to click “I’m applying to increase my weighting” before submitting their application.

13. If I was successful in receiving a PHA last year, can I apply again?
Yes, as this will help weight your chances of getting another permit in the future.

14. Can I be issued a PHA for the same species two years in a row?
You can only be issued a permit in the following year if there are fewer applicants than permits available for that species and zone. This has never yet occurred.

15. How many PHA applicants are there?
The number of applicants continues to increase each year. From 2005 to 2015, the number of applicants increased to more than 3,500 applications.

16. How is my personal information being disclosed?
Environment will publish your name for the purpose of reporting lottery results. Your personal information will not be used or shared for any reason other than to administer the lottery and provisions under the Wildlife Act.

17. What is the Youth Deer Draw? How old do you have to be to apply?
There are two deer permits reserved for hunters who are 14 or 15 years old at the time of application.

18. More information about the PHA lottery
For more information about how the PHA lottery process was established and more, check out this presentation from the Department of Environment.



Contact Client Services

Phone (Whitehorse): 867-667-5652
Toll-free (in Yukon, NWT, Nunavut):
1-800-661-0408 ext. 5652

Fax: 867-393-7197

Email: environmentyukon@gov.yk.ca
Address: Box 2703 (V-3A) Whitehorse, Yukon Canada Y1A 2C6

Carmacks 863-2411
Dawson 993-5492
Faro 994-2862
Haines Junction 634-2247
Mayo 996-2202
Old Crow 966-3040
Ross River 969-2202
Teslin 390-2685
Watson Lake 536-3210
Whitehorse 667-5652