Elk/agriculture conflict hunt 2016–17




back to top


  1. Farmers must contact a Conservation Officer at 867-667-8005, or 1-800-661-0525 after hours, with details about their elk-agriculture conflict (e.g. elk locations, potential hazards, and other relevant information).
  2. Conservation Officers Services Branch, the Fish and Wildlife Branch, and the Agriculture Branch will coordinate and conduct an on-site investigation of the complaint to determine eligibility for a conflict hunt. All three branches will work together to write a damage summary.
  3. Conservation Officers will contact eligible hunters identified on the priority list, in order, issue a Wildlife Act permit, and detail the conditions the hunter must abide by to hunt an elk.
  4. The hunter must complete the hunt in the time frame identified by a Conservation Officer and as specified on the Wildlife Act permit.
  5. Farmers can assist the hunter by providing information about elk locations, residents’ permissions, potential safety hazards, elk behaviour generally, and any information to assist with the identification of key elk for harvest.
  6. Hunters must also comply with mandatory reporting and submission requirements.
  7. Hunters are required to hunt in a safe manner and make every effort to minimize property damage or injuries to elk that are not being harvested.

back to top

Assessment and review

The Government of Yukon will track harvest numbers and locations to evaluate the effectiveness of the elk-agriculture conflict hunt on an ongoing basis. The success of this approach will be determined through ongoing collaboration between all Yukon government branches involved, as well as feedback from hunters, input from First Nations, Renewable Resources Councils, the Yukon Fish and Game Association, the agriculture industry, individual farmers, and others.

The Elk-Agriculture Working Group identified in the Management Plan for Elk in Yukon (2016, page 18) will participate in this evaluation, providing advice and recommendations on the effectiveness of the elk-agriculture conflict hunt to the Deputy Minister of Environment.


Additional resources

back to top


Contact Conservation Officer Services

Phone (Whitehorse): 867-667-8005
Toll-free (in Yukon, NWT, Nunavut):
1-800-661-0408 ext. 8005
T.I.P.P. Line: 1-800-661-0525

Fax: 867-393-6206

Email: coservices@gov.yk.ca
Address: Box 2703 (V-18) Whitehorse, Yukon Canada Y1A 2C6

District Conservation Officers


Whitehorse 667-8005
Dawson 993-5492
Watson Lake 536-3210
Haines Junction 634-2247
Mayo 996-2202
Carmacks 863-2411
Old Crow 966-3040
Ross River 969-2202
Faro 994-2862
Teslin 390-2685