Orphaned or injured wildlife

baby geese

YG photo

Wildlife encounters may take many forms. Sometimes, wildlife can seem to need our help. Other times we may need help dealing with wildlife that is no longer wild.

Orphaned animals

Most animals give birth to their young in the spring, especially during May. In the weeks that follow, people occasionally find young animals left alone and assume they have been separated from or orphaned by their mothers. With the best intentions, people often "rescue" these young.

When you encounter a young animal, please keep the following in mind:

Injured animals

Injured animals are stressed and may react aggressively. These situations can be dangerous. If you injure or kill wildlife while driving, or find wounded or dead wildlife on the road, report it right away to the TIPP line. If there is an immediate hazard, contact the RCMP.

When you encounter an injured animal, please keep the following in mind:


The possession of live wildlife by the general public is not legal.

Wildlife in conflict

If you are having conflicts with an animal on or off your property, please contact your local Conservation Officer.

Find out more about human-wildlife conflict.


Contact Conservation Officer Services
Phone (Whitehorse): 867-667-8005
Toll-free (in Yukon, NWT, Nunavut):
1-800-661-0408 ext. 8005
T.I.P.P. Line: 1-800-661-0525

Fax: 867-393-6206

Email: coservices@gov.yk.ca
Address: Box 2703 (V-18) Whitehorse, Yukon Canada Y1A 2C6

District Conservation Officers


Whitehorse 667-8005
Dawson 993-5492
Watson Lake 536-3210
Haines Junction 634-2247
Mayo 996-2202
Carmacks 863-2411
Old Crow 966-3040
Ross River 969-2202
Faro 994-2862
Teslin 390-2685