Human-wildlife conflict

grizzly eating garbage on the highway

Human-wildlife conflict is any contact between humans and wildlife that causes harm to the person, animal or property. Property includes buildings, equipment, camps, livestock and pets.

Common human-wildlife conflict

Garbage, Beaver in Cage, Fox in Cage

Report human-wildlife conflict

If you are involved in or witness human-wildlife conflict, you can:

Report animals killed in human-wildlife conflict

Prevention is the best way to avoid human-wildlife conflict, but sometimes incidents are unavoidable.

You can kill wildlife (except sheep, goats, deer, elk or birds) in self-defence and, in some cases, to defend your property. If you have to kill an animal, you must report it to a Conservation Officer.

Prevent human-wildlife conflict

Most human-wildlife conflict is caused by human behaviour, especially people leaving out attractants. If an animal can get an easy meal from improperly stored food or garbage, it will come back or look for the same kind of food source elsewhere. Animals that become conditioned to human-sourced food can become dangerous.

What you can do

conservation officers installing electric fences and road signs

The government is working to reduce human-wildlife conflict



Contact Conservation Officer Services
Phone (Whitehorse): 867-667-8005
Toll-free (in Yukon, NWT, Nunavut):
1-800-661-0408 ext. 8005
T.I.P.P. Line: 1-800-661-0525

Fax: 867-393-6206

Email: coservices@gov.yk.ca
Address: Box 2703 (V-18) Whitehorse, Yukon Canada Y1A 2C6

District Conservation Officers


Whitehorse 667-8005
Dawson 993-5492
Watson Lake 536-3210
Haines Junction 634-2247
Mayo 996-2202
Carmacks 863-2411
Old Crow 966-3040
Ross River 969-2202
Faro 994-2862
Teslin 390-2685