Park Permits

Helicopter landing in Tombstone Territorial Park_YG/Fritz Mueller photo

YG photo/Fritz Mueller

What is a Park Permit?

A park permit authorizes an activity, development or use of a park or campground that is permitted under the Parks and Land Certainty Act (PLCA) and applicable regulations and that is consistent with approved Yukon park management plans (PLCA Sec 22,34). A permit authorizes an individual, group, or organization to carry out a specific activity, development or use and outlines the specific conditions under which the activity may occur.

Why are Park Permits necessary?

Park Permits are necessary to reduce user conflicts, ensure quality visitor experiences and to safeguard the natural, cultural and ecological integrity of Yukon parks.

Do I need a Park Permit? How do I get one?

Four types of park permits are described below.

You must download these forms and open them in Adobe Reader. If you open the forms in a web browser, some features may not function properly. Right click the links and choose "Save Target/Link As."

1. Commercial Recreation Park Permit pdf icon355 KB

This permit applies to, but is not limited to, commercial guided wilderness tourism activities such as hiking, horseback riding, dog mushing, canoeing, kayaking, sport fishing, mountain biking, skiing, snowmobiling, wildlife viewing, and photography, including aircraft landings within park boundaries. The permit also authorizes sporting events, festivals and large private events.

2. Research and Educational Activities Park Permit pdf icon355 KB

This permit applies to all research and monitoring activities including but not limited to, collection of specimens, establishment of research plots, monitoring, surveying, inventory and other research. This permit also applies to educational activities and events associated with schools, colleges, universities or non-profit organisations, including field trips, field courses, workshops and public education events.

3. Land Use or Industrial Development Park Permit pdf icon355 KB

This permit applies to all other commercial, industrial and/or existing residential purposes.

4. Commercial Filming and Photography Park Permit pdf icon488 KB

This permit applies to all commercial film productions or commercial photography shoots including filming/photography for motion pictures, documentaries, advertisements, or other commercial products (ex. calendars, books, postcards, etc.).


Other permits

Additional permits may be required under other legislation or regulations, and it is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure all relevant permits have been acquired before beginning any activity (ex. Scientist and Explorers Licence, Dempster Highway Development Area Permit, Wilderness Tourism License, Wildlife Act Permit, etc.). When these permits or licences are needed, copies will be required to support Park Permit approval.

* Note that camping permits for Yukon government campgrounds are included with your onsite payment and self-registration. For Wilderness Tourism Licencing information click here.

If you are uncertain as to whether you require a Park Permit for an activity, or for general inquiries about park permits, please contact Yukon Parks.


Contact Yukon Parks

Phone: 867-667-5648
Park Officers: 867-456-3974
Toll-free (in Yukon, NWT & Nunavut):
1-800-661-0408 ext. 5648
Fax: 867-393-6223
Email: yukon.parks@gov.yk.ca
Facebook: www.facebook.com/YGYukonParks Address: Box 2703 (V-4) Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada Y1A 2C6