Livestock health

Find information about new diseases and how to access support and funding to help keep your livestock healthy:

The Animal Health Unit, based in the Department of Environment, is responsible for the health concerns of domestic animals, including livestock. The production of safe food in Yukon is supported by the Agriculture Branch of the Department of Energy, Mines and Resources.

Livestock diseases

Diseases change over time and new diseases can emerge. It’s important for veterinarians and livestock owners in Yukon to be aware of the latest news about diseases.

Diseases that can affect livestock:

Occasionally there are changes to the national programs that control disease in animals. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has more information on these programs.

back to top

Livestock health support

It’s important for Yukon farmers to have health and disease information that’s specific to Yukon. Handbooks for poultry, swine and cattle are available to help Yukon farmers work with veterinarians to maintain the health of their herds and flocks.

Veterinarians who specialize in livestock have been visiting Yukon since 2013 as part of the livestock health program delivered by the Animal Health Unit and Agriculture Branch.

These specialists present workshops for livestock owners in Dawson City and Whitehorse, and offer continuing education for local veterinarians.


back to top

Veterinary Services Program

The Veterinary Services Program reimburses enrolled livestock owners up to $1,000 per premises to cover:

Livestock owners with six or fewer poultry are eligible for up to $250 of coverage.

Owners are responsible for paying the costs of sample testing, drugs and vaccines, and treatment required for animals.

A maximum of 30 premises can enroll in the Veterinary Services Program per year.

Qualifying livestock species are:

  • bison
  • yaks
  • llamas
  • swine
  • meat rabbits
  • muskox
  • elk
  • poultry
  • sheep
  • goats
  • fish
  • alpacas
  • beef and dairy cattle


Horses are not covered because they’re not raised for food in Yukon.

How to enroll

Submit the enrollment form to the Animal Health Unit.

You must also have, or apply for, a Premises Identification Number for each premises that you wish to enroll. Contact the Animal Health Unit or the Agriculture Branch to do this.

If you're not enrolled but need a veterinarian because of a livestock emergency, ask your vet for an enrollment package when they visit your property. Some of your costs might be covered if you apply within seven days of the visit.

The Veterinary Services Program is a pilot project to improve access to veterinary care for animals raised for food in Yukon. It’s is funded through the Growing Forward program, in association with the Agriculture Branch of the Department of Energy, Mines and Resources.

back to top

Contact Animal Health Unit

Phone: 867-667-5600
Toll-free (in Yukon, NWT & Nunavut):
1-800-661-0408 ext. 5600
Fax: 867-393-6263

Email: animalhealth@gov.yk.ca
Address: Box 2703 (V-7) Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada Y1A 2C6