Hazardous Waste

Community Services operates the Hazardous Waste program for the territory. Environment Yukon is responsible for hazardous waste regulation, including permits.

If you work with hazardous waste (also known as special waste), be aware of your legal obligations under the Special Waste Regulation. The regulation protects the environment and our health by ensuring the safe handling and disposal of hazardous waste.

Examples of hazardous waste include:

Disposing of hazardous or special wastes

Please visit the Hazardous Waste page on the Community Services website for information on disposing commercial and household hazardous waste.

Special waste permits

Anyone that generates, stores, handles, mixes, transports, disposes or releases special wastes requires a permit. Special waste permits ensure proper storage, handling and tracking of movement to approved disposal facilities.

Permits are not required for handling household hazardous waste, but such waste must be disposed of properly. It is illegal to release hazardous or special waste into the environment.

Important note: The permitting system under the Environment Act was updated in 2014. For more information review the Permitting System web page.



Permit Application Forms

Special Waste Regulation Information

Disposal Information

Storage and Transportation Information

Used Oil Information

Other Information


Contact Environmental Programs
Phone: 867-667-5683
Toll-free (in Yukon, NWT & Nunavut):
1-800-661-0408 ext. 5683
Fax: 867-393-6213
Email: envprot@gov.yk.ca
Address: Box 2703 (V-8) Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada Y1A 2C6